In 2013, a typical social media user consumed 285 pieces of content or an astounding 54,000 words each day. In two years, the consumption of information has increased and your eyeballs are constantly skimming blog posts, trying to keep up. We’re here to make your life easier each week by summarizing 5 must-read content marketing articles. Enjoy!
1. The Rise of Content Performance: The Search and Social Link [Search Engine Watch]
- 86% of organizations use content marketing, but only 21% say they are successful at tracking the ROI of content
- Make sure you know your: audience objective, personal objective and business objective.
- Not all objectives can be numbers-driven, but all objectives should attribute to overall success2. Marketing Superstars Tell All: Measuring Content Marketing Box Office Success [TopRank]
- Andrew Davis: The two simplest ways to measure the value of content marketing: revenue by post and subscriber.
- Jason Miller: If your content marketing is encouraging engagement, that’s a sign of relevance.
- Chad Pollitt: Identify baseline measurements for content marketing by researching audience, media & competitors.3. Effective Storytelling For People Who Don’t Have Time To Read [Juntae DeLane]
- Professionals spend 51% of their time managing information instead of acting on it.
- 90% of surveyed professionals admit to having deleted important info without reading it.
- Press releases that contain multimedia get 77% more responses compared to text-only releases.
- Blog posts with video are linked to 3x more than text-only posts4. The H.E.L.P. Method For Writing Business Content [Oracle]
- Helpful? Does it offer readers valuable information beyond the brand story?
- Engaging? Does it use examples and entertaining references to keep the reader’s attention?
- Learning-oriented? Does it focus on providing information that’s fresh and forward thinking?
- Product spec-ulated? Don’t bore the audience with product specs; paint the prettiest picture of your user benefitting from what you’re selling.5. The 30 Most Genius Content Marketing Examples of 2014 [Salesforce]
Review some of the best content marketing wins from last year for inspiration
Examples include: Anthropologie’s DIY drink recipes, Lana Del Rey’s Tumblr, Uber’s blog, Arcade Fire’s fan-sourced gallery, and Disney shares behind-the-scenes moments.Missed last week’s round-up? Don’t fret! You can catch them all here.